Ever notice that powdery face people get when they apply too much highlighter or apply it poorly? It’s like an angel took root on their face, and not in a good way. Highlighter is an essential product to give your face a youthful glow AND balances out any contouring or bronzer you apply. The trick is, you’ve got to apply it properly. These tips and tricks will help you apply highlighter in the best way, leaving your face looking dewy and awake, not like you fell face first into a pile of powdered sugar.
1. Find a highlighter with golden undertones. While it might seem intuitive to pick a highlighter with a pearly hue, this can actually make you look like Frosty. Opt for a highlighter that has a bit more of a golden sheen to it. This will help make the lightness look more natural on your skin.
2. Use a fan brush. A fan brush is the perfect size and shape to apply highlighter evenly and in the places you want it. A thicker or more rounded brush can lead to highlighter getting exactly where you don’t want it.
3. Create an arc above your cheek. Use your brush to arc your highlighter atop your cheekbones and under your eye area. Applying highlight in this area will help make your eyes look away and your cheekbones pop.
4. Highlight your brow bone. Applying highlighter on your brown bone is another way to make your eyes POP. It helps them appear big and bright.
5. Forehead, nose and chin! Now that your cheeks and eyes are popping it’s time for the rest of your face. Apply highlighter on the sides of your forehead, down the top of your nose and right in the middle of your chin. This will create depth in your overall look.
6. Blend. Blend, blend, blend. Did we mention you should blend? Not blending your final makeup look is the reason you can end up with powder face. Use a blending brush or your fingers to lightly blend your highlighter in with the rest of your look.
Still struggling? This great video from Wayne Goss has some quick tips for apply highlighter. Give it a look!